41 Elm Row, Edinburgh, EH7 5HN
Architect: WH Playfair (1821) Listing: C-Listed No of Seats: Unknown
Status: Other Opened: 1908 Closed: 1966
Opened 16.11.08 by R Pringle in old vet school of 1821 (later billiard hall, then skating rink). Arch. WH Playfair. s. 500. Renamed Atmospheric, 1929-30. Pringle’s Th, 23.2.31. Theatre use, until reopened as Broadway, 28.11.38. Given to CofS, 1946. Renamed Gateway. Private club. Cl. to films, 1966? STV studio Now Gateway Theatre.
Opened as a cinema in 1908. Renamed the Atmospheric in 1930, later also called Pringle’s Theatre, Millicent Ward’s Studio Theatre, the Repertory Theatre, the Festival Theatre, the Broadway and finally the Gateway.
Films last shown around 1965, the building was TV studios for a while, was the Gateway Theatre (again!) for a while.
Currently empty, plans have been lodged to demolish the theatre and put flats on the site.