53 Crow Road, Glasgow, G11 7SH
Architect: Denny & Blain Listing: None No of Seats: 1,915
Status: Demolished Opened: 1929 Closed: 1973
Opened in April 1929, the Tivoli seated 1,915. It was designed by the Dumbarton-based architects Denny and Blain for the Thomas Ormiston chain.
At some point after 1930, the exterior was extended forward to create a larger entrance hall. Projection was from the rear of the stalls, and there was a large open hallway behind the balcony. The auditorium featured side boxes.
It was sold to the Classic chain and renamed Classic in 1967; it finally closed in February 1972, and became a County bingo hall.
The Tivoli was demolished in the late 1990s, and housing built on the site.
Photo above c.1980, courtesy Chris Doak