12 Watson Street, Calton, Glasgow, G1 5AF
Architect: Unknown Listing: None No of Seats: 1,200
Status: Demolished Opened: 1878 Closed: 1918
Other information: o.1878 as Star Music Hall, upper levels of warehouse. Renamed, 1881, 1885. Closed 1884-92 due to disaster where 14 people died. Renamed 1897 Opened 11.11.07 by Ralph Pringle for cinema. s. 1,200. Cl. 7.14. Leased by Frutin for cinevariety, 1914 – 34. Variety only from c.1918. Reverted to Queen’s theatre name. Destroyed by fire, 1952. Dem., 1956.
Opened in 1878 as the Star Music Hall, in the upper levels of a warehouse. Renamed, 1881, 1885. Closed from 1884-92 due to a disaster where 14 people died (see newspaper extract).
Images and text from the Illustrated London News, November 8, 1884.
Renamed 1897 and reopened in November 1907 by Ralph Pringle for cinema use, seating 1,200. Closed July 1914. Leased by Frutin for cine-variety, 1914 – 1934. Variety only from c.1918. Reverted to Queen’s theatre name. Destroyed by fire, 1952. Demolished in 1956.
Further details can be found on the Arthur Lloyd website here.