Picture House, Tain

Tower Street, Tain. Highland, IV19 1AB

Architect: Andrew Maitland   Listing: B-Listed (1982)   No of Seats: Unknown

Status: Derelict   Opened: 1875   Closed: Unknown

Other information: Former Town Hall, Opened 1875. Converted to cinema, late 1920s. Arch. Andrew Maitland, 1874. Sold to Tain Picture House (branch of CAC), 1946. Photos from 7.80 of auditorium, light fittings, etc. Reported to be derelict, c. 2000.

Conversion of former town hall in the late 1920s. The building seems to feature painted portraits on the walls and has interesting panelling. In recent years the Tain Picture House Restoration Trust was formed, but hopes to revamp the Old Picture House into a theatre, cinema and arts complex seem to have stalled.

Image from Google streetview, July 2011, and the video below was filmed by the Tain Picture House Restoration Trust in 2008.

Leave a Reply