5 Bridge Place, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB11 6HZ
Architect: John Rust / Chadwick, Watson & Co. Listing: C-Listed (2002) No of Seats: 1,800
Status: Closed as Cinema – Building Repurposed as Nightclub Opened: 1898 / 1931 Closed: 1959
Opened 24.10.1898 as variety theatre on site of burnt-out People’s Palace, seating 1800 over two tiers. Arch. John Rust. Films introduced in 1911.
Sold to Poole’s, 1929. Interior Rebuilt, reopened as cinema, 1931. Arch. Chadwick Watson and Company. Passed with Regent to County Cinemas, 6.1936. Later absorbed by Odeon. Ballroom from 1959, and nightclub since 1976.
Exterior image above courtesy of Emma Mykytyn. See 360 degree images available of the interior as the Institute Nightclub below on Google Streetview.