2-6 Govan Road, Glasgow, G51 1HS
Architect: WB Inglis (conv.) Listing: None No of Seats: Unknown
Status: Closed as a Cinema – Building Repurposed Opened: 1921 Closed: 1959
Opened January 1921 by Henry Meiklejohn, in a conversion of an old stables. Architect WB Inglis. It originally seated 1,100, and was rebuilt and re-named Ritz after a fire in 1952.
Closing as a cinema in 1959, it is now Glasgow’s “Grand Ole Opry” Country and Western club. The Grand Ole Opry’s website has an illustrated page on the building’s history, in which they say that:
“The structural layout inside the club is largely unchanged from its Cinema days. A mezzanine level which would have been an upper circle still remains and now provides overspill seating for visitors on busy evenings. The area which housed the cinema projectors is still visible above the bar.”