313 St George’s Road, Glasgow, G3 6JQ
Architect: Unknown Listing: None No of Seats: 1,300
Status: Demolished Opened: 1913 Closed: 1972
Other information: Variety hall with cinema seasons when owned by GU Scott, 1933-60. Dem. 4.87.
Opened 1913 as the West End Playhouse, seating 1300. Reopened as Empress Variety & Picture Playhouse in 1914; variety theatre with cinema showings until 1960s.
Falcon Theatre from 1960; New Metropole from 1962; Jimmy Logan’s Metropole from 1964.
Closed 1972; demolished 1987.
Photo c.1975 courtesy Chris Doak.