32 Portland Street, Troon, South Ayrshire, KA10 6QU
Architect: James McKissack Listing: None No of Seats: Unknown
Status: Demolished Opened: 1935 Closed: 1974
Built as the Embassy, in 1937, for the KR Blair circuit. Designed by the prolific James McKissack, it had a cloud-shaped facade in cream tiles (similar to the surviving Raith in Kirkcaldy), with shop units either side of main entrance. Taken over by the George Palmer cicuit in 1946, and soon renamed as the George.
Closed as a cinema in 1974, and lay derelict for a while, before the foyer and auditorium were demolished in 1986/7 to allow construction of flats.
Only the shop-units on either side – still with their cream tiles – remain, as can be seen in the Google Streetview image below.
Main photo c.1987 courtesy Alistair Mulhearn;